The risks and recovery of gastric bypass surgery can be daunting and even dangerous. However, that doesn’t mean that weight loss surgery isn’t right for you. Dr. David. G. Davtyan of The Weight Loss Surgery Center of Los Angeles proudly offers safe and minimally-invasive weight loss procedures and bariatric surgeries to patients in Bakersfield. Dr. Davtyan is Board Certified in Surgery and Bariatric Medicine and regarded as one of the most respected weight loss surgeons in the Los Angeles area.
As a bariatric patient himself, Dr. Davtyan understands how to help patients achieve life-changing weight loss through advanced procedures that involve less risks and less downtime than traditional gastric bypass. Our Bakersfield area clinic proudly offers the following endoscopic weight loss procedures to help you achieve your goals:
- Lap-Band surgery
- Sleeve Gastrectomy (laparoscopic gastric sleeve surgery)
- Lap-Band removal and revision surgery
- Gastric plication surgery
- Gastric balloon (Orbera® and Obalon™)
Laparoscopic Gastric Sleeve Surgery
Laparoscopic gastric sleeve surgery, also known as sleeve gastrectomy, is a minimally invasive weight loss surgery that involves the removal of a portion of the stomach to reduce its size. Here’s what you can expect during a sleeve gastrectomy with Dr. Davtyan:
- Anesthesia: Before the surgery, you will be given general anesthesia to ensure that you are asleep and pain-free during the procedure.
- Small incisions: Dr. Davtyan will make several small incisions in your abdomen, through which they will insert a laparoscope (a thin, flexible tube with a camera) and surgical instruments.
- Removal of a portion of the stomach: Using the laparoscope and surgical instruments, the surgeon will remove approximately 75-80% of the stomach, leaving a narrow tube or “sleeve” in its place.
- Closure of incisions: Dr. Davtyan will close the incisions with sutures or surgical staples.
- Recovery and Post-operative care: Following surgery, you will need to follow a specific diet and exercise plan to help with recovery and weight loss. Our healthcare team at The Weight Loss Surgery Center of Los Angeles will provide you with detailed instructions on how to care for yourself after surgery.
Are You a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?
Determining whether you are a candidate for weight loss surgery with Dr. Davtyan in Bakersfield depends on several factors, including your body mass index (BMI), overall health, and weight-related health conditions. In general, our minimally-invasive weight loss procedures may be an option for you if:
- Your BMI is 40 or higher: A BMI of 40 or higher is considered severe obesity and may indicate a need for weight loss surgery.
- Your BMI is 35-39.9 and you have weight-related health conditions: If you have weight-related health conditions such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, or sleep apnea, weight loss surgery may be recommended with a BMI in this range.
- You have tried other weight loss methods without success: If you have tried other weight loss methods such as diet and exercise without success, weight loss surgery may be an option.
It’s important to note that weight loss surgery is not a magic solution and requires a commitment to lifestyle changes and ongoing follow-up care. The Weight Loss Surgery Center of Los Angeles is here to partner with you through your entire weight loss journey.
Avoiding the Risks of Gastric Bypass
Gastric bypass surgery is a commonly recommended weight loss procedure, but it is not one that Dr. Davtyan performs or recommends due to the substantial risks and potential complications involved. Instead, our clinic near Bakersfield offers gastric sleeve surgery as a safer alternative to gastric bypass.
Gastric sleeve surgery is a less complex procedure than gastric bypass surgery. It involves removing a portion of the stomach to create a smaller, tube-like structure. This can lead to weight loss by reducing the amount of food that can be eaten at one time, and by decreasing the production of hunger hormones.
Gastric bypass surgery, on the other hand, is a more complex procedure that involves creating a small pouch from the stomach and rerouting the small intestine to this pouch. This can lead to weight loss by reducing the amount of food that can be eaten at one time, by decreasing the absorption of calories and nutrients, and by changing the production of certain hormones.
While both procedures have similar rates of success in terms of weight loss, gastric bypass surgery has a higher risk of disruptive complications such as dumping syndrome (a condition in which food moves too quickly through the digestive system), bowel obstruction, and vitamin deficiencies.
Schedule Your Weight Loss Surgery Consultation in Bakersfield
When you are obese, weight loss can be a life-changing and life-saving achievement, and sometimes surgery is the best way to help. Call or contact The Weight Loss Surgery Center of Los Angeles today to learn if gastric sleeve surgery or other minimally-invasive bariatric procedures are right for you? We have locations throughout the Los Angeles area, including centers near Bakersfield, California.