Scared of weight loss surgery? Weight loss surgery doesn’t have to involve the risk and recovery of gastric bypass surgery. Dr. David. G. Davtyan of The Weight Loss Surgery Center of Los Angeles proudly offers safe and minimally-invasive weight loss procedures and bariatric surgeries to patients in Chino Hills. Dr. Davtyan is Board Certified in Surgery and Bariatric Medicine and regarded as one of the most respected weight loss surgeons in the Los Angeles area.
As a bariatric patient himself, Dr. Davtyan understands how to help patients achieve life-changing weight loss through advanced procedures that involve less risks and less downtime than traditional gastric bypass. Our clinic proudly offers the following endoscopic weight loss procedures to patients living in Chino Hills:
- Lap-Band surgery
- Sleeve Gastrectomy (laparoscopic gastric sleeve surgery)
- Lap-Band removal and revision surgery
- Gastric plication surgery
- Gastric balloon (Orbera® and Obalon™)
What is Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery?
Gastric sleeve surgery, also known as sleeve gastrectomy, is a less-invasive weight loss surgery compared to gastric bypass that involves removing a large portion of the stomach to create a smaller, sleeve-shaped stomach. This is typically done laparoscopically, meaning small incisions are made in the abdomen and a small camera and surgical instruments are used to remove part of the stomach.
The smaller stomach restricts the amount of food that can be eaten at one time, leading to a feeling of fullness after consuming a smaller portion of food. This can help people lose weight and improve their health, particularly if they have obesity-related conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or sleep apnea.
Dr. Davtyan is proud to offer this endoscopic bariatric surgery at our state-of-the-art clinic near Chino Hills, CA. Gastric sleeve surgery is a one of the latest and most preferred options in bariatric weight loss surgery, first introduced in the early 2000s, and has become increasingly popular in recent years due to its effectiveness and lower risk compared to other weight loss surgeries.
Do You Qualify for Weight Loss Surgery?
Weight loss surgery is generally recommended for individuals who have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher, or a BMI of 35 or higher with one or more obesity-related health conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or sleep apnea.
In addition to meeting the BMI criteria, candidates for weight loss surgery should have tried and failed to lose weight through other methods such as diet and exercise. They should also be committed to making long-term lifestyle changes to support weight loss and improve their overall health.
At The Weight Loss Surgery Center of Los Angeles, we recognize that weight loss surgery is not for everyone, and it is not a quick fix or an easy solution for obesity. Though Dr. Davtyan performs safer and less-invasive bariatric surgeries like sleeve gastrectomy, there are still risks and significant lifestyle changes required after surgery. Therefore, our Chino Hills candidates for weight loss surgery should be prepared to commit to a lifelong journey of weight management and follow-up care with their healthcare team. A thorough evaluation and discussion with Dr. Davtyan and our team is necessary to determine if weight loss surgery is a good option for an individual.
Benefits of Gastric Sleeve Compared to Gastric Bypass
Gastric sleeve surgery and gastric bypass surgery are two of the most commonly performed weight loss surgeries. Both procedures can help individuals lose weight and improve their health, but there are some differences in the patient benefits of each surgery. Dr. Davtyan does not recommend or perform gastric bypass surgery due to the profound advantages of gastric sleeve surgery.
Here are some of the benefits of gastric sleeve surgery compared to gastric bypass:
- Lower risk of complications
- Gastric sleeve surgery is a less complex procedure than gastric bypass, and it involves fewer surgical connections between the stomach and small intestine. As a result, it carries a lower risk of complications such as bowel obstruction or leakage.
- No intestinal rerouting
- Gastric sleeve surgery does not involve rerouting or bypassing the small intestine, which means that patients do not have to worry about malabsorption of nutrients.
- Shorter hospital stay
- The recovery time for gastric sleeve surgery is typically shorter than that of gastric bypass, with patients spending less time in the hospital and returning to normal activities sooner.
- Fewer restrictions on food intake
- Patients who have undergone gastric sleeve surgery may be able to eat a wider range of foods than those who have had gastric bypass, as their digestive system is not altered in the same way.
- Comparable weight loss
- While gastric bypass surgery may result in slightly more weight loss than gastric sleeve surgery, both procedures have been shown to be effective in helping patients lose weight and improve their overall health.
The decision to undergo weight loss surgery can be life-changing, but it is one that should be made in consultation with a qualified healthcare provider such as Dr. Davtyan of Chino Hills. At our Los Angeles clinic, we will begin by carefully evaluating your health status, medical history, and weight loss goals to determine the most appropriate treatment option.
Schedule Your Weight Loss Surgery Consultation in Chino Hills
Ready to learn more about whether gastric sleeve or another minimally-invasive bariatric surgery is right for you? Call The Weight Loss Surgery Center of Los Angeles. We have locations throughout the Los Angeles area, including centers near Chino Hills, California.
To schedule your complimentary bariatric consultation, call our office or contact us online. A more confident and healthier you can be achievable with our advanced and safer options in weight loss surgery.