Weight loss surgery doesn’t have to involve the risks and dangers of traditional gastric bypass. Instead, Dr. David. G. Davtyan of The Weight Loss Surgery Center of Los Angeles proudly offers safe and minimally-invasive weight loss procedures and bariatric surgeries to patients in Torrance. Dr. Davtyan is Board Certified in Surgery and Bariatric Medicine and regarded as one of the most respected weight loss surgeons in the Los Angeles area.
Schedule Your Consultation with the Weight Loss Surgery Center of Los Angeles Now!
As a bariatric patient himself, Dr. Davtyan understands how to help patients achieve life-changing weight loss through advanced procedures that involve less risks and less downtime than traditional gastric bypass. Our Torrance clinic proudly offers the following laparoscopic weight loss procedures to help you achieve your goals:
- Lap-Band surgery
- Sleeve Gastrectomy (laparoscopic gastric sleeve surgery)
- Lap-Band removal and revision surgery
- Gastric plication surgery
- Gastric balloon (Orbera® and Obalon™)
What to Consider When Choosing Gastric Sleeve Surgery
Gastric sleeve surgery, also known as sleeve gastrectomy, is typically recommended for people with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher, or a BMI of 35 or higher with one or more obesity-related co-morbidities such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, or heart disease. It may also be an option for people with a BMI between 30-35 who have not been able to achieve significant weight loss through diet and exercise alone.
In addition to BMI, there are other factors that may influence whether a person is a good candidate for gastric sleeve surgery, including:
- Age: Gastric sleeve surgery is typically recommended for people between the ages of 18 and 65, although there may be some variation based on individual circumstances.
- Overall health: Patients should be in generally good health and free of significant medical conditions that may increase the risks associated with surgery.
- Commitment to lifestyle changes: Patients should be committed to making long-term changes to their diet and exercise habits in order to maximize the benefits of the surgery and maintain weight loss over the long term.
- Mental readiness: Some bariatric programs require patients to undergo a psychological evaluation to assess their readiness for surgery and to identify any potential barriers to success.
It is important to note that gastric sleeve surgery is a major surgical procedure and carries some risks and potential complications. Patients considering gastric sleeve surgery should carefully evaluate the potential benefits and drawbacks and discuss their individual situation with Dr. Davtyan, a qualified bariatric surgeon who will determine the best weight loss surgery for your needs.
Address Obesity-Related Health Issues with Bariatric Surgery
Beyond the lost confidence and physical limitations of not addressing your obesity, there are also several health problems associated with being overweight. Weight loss surgery at our Torrance area clinic can improve or eliminate obesity-related health issues such as the following:
- Type 2 diabetes: Obesity is a major risk factor for type 2 diabetes, a condition in which the body becomes resistant to insulin, a hormone that regulates blood sugar levels.
- High blood pressure: Obesity can increase blood pressure, which can lead to an increased risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Cardiovascular disease: Obesity is a significant risk factor for cardiovascular disease, which includes conditions such as coronary artery disease, heart attack, and stroke.
- Sleep apnea: Obesity can increase the risk of sleep apnea, a condition in which breathing stops and starts during sleep.
- Osteoarthritis: Obesity can put extra stress on the joints, which can lead to osteoarthritis, a degenerative joint disease.
- Fatty liver disease: Obesity can lead to the accumulation of fat in the liver, which can lead to fatty liver disease, a condition that can cause liver damage and other health problems.
- Kidney disease: Obesity is a risk factor for chronic kidney disease, a condition in which the kidneys gradually lose function over time.
- Cancer: Obesity is associated with an increased risk of several types of cancer, including breast, colon, and prostate cancer.
- Depression and anxiety: Obesity can have a negative impact on mental health and can increase the risk of depression and anxiety.
- Reproductive health problems: Obesity can affect reproductive health in both men and women and can increase the risk of infertility, miscarriage, and complications during pregnancy.
At The Weight Loss Surgery Center of Los Angeles, we are proud to help patients lose a significant amount of weight through advanced, minimally-invasive bariatric procedures. In doing so, we can help you achieve a more confident, healthier and longer life. Call Dr. Davtyan of Torrance, CA today to schedule your complimentary consult with a skilled weight loss surgeon near you.