At The Weight Loss Surgery Center of Los Angeles, we understand the detrimental impact that obesity can have on your health, emotional well-being and quality of life. As one of the most respected weight loss surgeons in the Los Angeles area, Dr. David G. Davtyan proudly offers a full menu of minimally-invasive weight loss procedures and bariatric surgeries for patients living in Lancaster, California.
Schedule Your Consultation with the Weight Loss Surgery Center of Los Angeles Now!
As a bariatric patient himself, Dr. Davtyan uses his compelling empathy and elite qualifications to help patients achieve their weight loss goals. We believe in providing advanced procedures that involve less risks and less downtime than traditional gastric bypass. To this end, our surgery center near Lancaster offers the following endoscopic weight loss procedures and laparoscopic bariatric surgeries:
- Lap-Band surgery
- Sleeve Gastrectomy (laparoscopic gastric sleeve surgery)
- Lap-Band removal and revision surgery
- Gastric plication surgery
- Gastric balloon (Orbera® and Obalon™)
What is Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Gastric sleeve surgery, also known as sleeve gastrectomy, is a weight loss surgery that involves removing a large portion of the stomach to reduce its size by about 75-80%. The remaining stomach is shaped like a narrow tube or sleeve, hence the name “sleeve gastrectomy.”
The surgery is typically performed laparoscopically, which means that it is done using small incisions and a camera and surgical instruments are inserted through the incisions. Dr. Davtyan will remove the outer margin of the stomach, leaving a smaller, banana-shaped stomach. This smaller stomach can hold less food, which can help patients feel full more quickly and promote weight loss.
The procedure is typically recommended for individuals who have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher or for those with a BMI of 35-39.9 and weight-related health conditions such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, or sleep apnea.
Dr. Davtyan makes it a priority to discuss the potential risks and benefits of gastric sleeve to determine if it is the right option for you.
The Benefits of Sleeve Gastrectomy Compared to Gastric Bypass
Both gastric sleeve surgery and gastric bypass surgery are effective weight loss surgeries, but they differ in terms of their benefits and risks. Here are some of the benefits of gastric sleeve surgery compared to gastric bypass:
- Simpler surgery: Gastric sleeve surgery is a less complex surgery than gastric bypass, which means it carries a lower risk of complications during and after the surgery.
- Reduced risk of malabsorption: Gastric sleeve surgery does not involve rerouting the small intestine, which means that there is a lower risk of developing nutrient deficiencies or malabsorption issues compared to gastric bypass.
- Similar weight loss outcomes: Both gastric sleeve and gastric bypass surgeries can result in significant weight loss, with patients losing an average of 60-70% of their excess weight within the first two years after surgery.
- Fewer dietary restrictions: After gastric sleeve surgery, patients can usually eat a wider variety of foods compared to gastric bypass patients, who need to follow a strict diet to avoid nutrient deficiencies.
- Lower risk of dumping syndrome: Dumping syndrome is a condition that can occur after gastric bypass surgery, where food moves too quickly through the digestive system. This can cause symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and dizziness. Gastric sleeve surgery does not involve rerouting the small intestine, which means that the risk of developing dumping syndrome is lower.
Lap-Band Surgeon Near Lancaster
Dr. Davtyan has helped countless patients achieve their weight loss goals with Lap-Band surgery. Lap-Band surgery, also known as laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding, is a type of weight loss surgery that involves placing an adjustable band around the upper part of the stomach. The band is made of silicone and is filled with saline, which can be adjusted to change the size of the opening between the upper and lower parts of the stomach.
The procedure is typically performed laparoscopically, which means that it is done using small incisions and a camera and surgical instruments are inserted through the incisions. Dr. Davtyan places the band around the upper part of the stomach and then adjusts the band to create a small pouch that can hold only a small amount of food. This can help patients feel full more quickly and promote weight loss.
Is Minimally-Invasive Weight Loss Surgery Right for You?
Whether weight loss surgery is right for you depends on several factors, including your weight, health status, and lifestyle habits. Weight loss surgery with Dr. Davtyan in Lancaster is typically recommended for individuals who have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher, or for those with a BMI of 35-39.9 and weight-related health conditions such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, or sleep apnea. However, BMI alone is not the only factor that Dr. Davtyan will consider when determining your candidacy for bariatric surgery.
Schedule Your Complimentary Weight Loss Surgery Consultation in Lancaster
Call The Weight Loss Surgery Center of Los Angeles today to learn if you qualify for gastric sleeve surgery or one of our other endoscopic bariatric procedures. We have multiple locations throughout the Los Angeles area, including centers near Lancaster, CA.