Weight loss surgery doesn’t have to involve invasive procedures and lengthy recovery. Dr. David. G. Davtyan of The Weight Loss Surgery Center of Los Angeles proudly offers safe and minimally-invasive weight loss procedures and bariatric surgeries to patients in West Hills. Dr. Davtyan is Board Certified in Surgery and Bariatric Medicine and one of the most highly-regarded weight loss surgeons in the Los Angeles area.
Schedule Your Consultation with the Weight Loss Surgery Center of Los Angeles Now!
As a bariatric patient himself, Dr. Davtyan understands how to help patients achieve life-changing weight loss through advanced surgical techniques that involve less risks and less downtime than traditional gastric bypass. Our state-of-the-art clinic near West Hills proudly offers the following endoscopic and minimally-invasive weight loss procedures to qualifying patients:
- Lap-Band surgery
- Sleeve Gastrectomy (laparoscopic gastric sleeve surgery)
- Lap-Band removal and revision surgery
- Gastric plication surgery
- Gastric balloon (Orbera® and Obalon™)
Are You a Weight Loss Surgery Candidate?
Weight loss surgery, also known as bariatric surgery, is typically recommended for people who have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher, or a BMI of 35 or higher with one or more obesity-related health conditions such as type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, or high blood pressure.
However, weight loss surgery is not a one-size-fits-all solution and is typically reserved for people who have tried and failed to lose weight through other methods such as diet and exercise. The decision to undergo weight loss surgery should be made in consultation with a bariatric surgeon like Dr. Davtyan, who can evaluate the your health status, weight loss goals, and other factors to determine if surgery is the right option. In general, weight loss surgery may be beneficial for West Hill patients who meet the following criteria:
- Are significantly overweight or obese
- Have obesity-related health conditions such as type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, or high blood pressure
- Have tried and failed to lose weight through other methods
- Are committed to making significant lifestyle changes to maintain their weight loss after surgery
Why Choose Gastric Sleeve Over Gastric Bypass?
It is important to note that the safety and effectiveness of weight loss surgery, including gastric sleeve and gastric bypass, depend on the individual’s health status, weight loss goals, and other factors. Therefore, it is best to discuss the risks and benefits of your procedure with Dr. Davtyan at The Weight Loss Surgery Center of Los Angeles.
Gastric sleeve and gastric bypass are different types of surgery with different risks and benefits. Gastric sleeve is considered safer than gastric bypass for several reasons:
- Reduced risk of complications: Gastric sleeve is a simpler procedure that does not involve rerouting the small intestine, reducing the risk of complications such as bowel obstruction, ulcers, and intestinal leaks.
- Shorter hospital stay and recovery time: Gastric sleeve typically requires a shorter hospital stay and recovery time compared to gastric bypass, which may require a longer hospital stay and more time for the body to heal.
- No malabsorption issues: Gastric sleeve does not affect the absorption of nutrients, whereas gastric bypass can lead to malabsorption issues, including vitamin and mineral deficiencies, if not managed properly.
Dr. Davtyan does not recommend or perform gastric bypass surgery. He recognizes the advantages of gastric sleeve surgery and other less invasive bariatric procedures to help obese patients regain a healthier bodyweight. To learn if you qualify for a sleeve gastrectomy at our West Hills clinic, please call to schedule your consult.
Avoid the Dangers and Long-Term Risks of Untreated Obesity
According to recent reports from the CDC, the obesity prevalence in the United States was 39.8% among adults aged 20 to 39 years, 44.3% among adults aged 40 to 59 years, and 41.5% among adults aged 60 and older. While shockingly common, being overweight brings threats and risks that go beyond just your physical appearance or figure. There are several serious health risks that are associated with untreated obesity. At The Weight Loss Surgery Center of Los Angeles, we can help patients avoid overweight complications such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, depression/anxiety, reproductive issues, sleep apnea, fatty liver disease and more.
Contact Dr. Davtyan today to schedule your complimentary consult with an elite bariatric surgeon near West Hills.