Weight loss surgery doesn’t have to be risky or invasive. Dr. David. G. Davtyan of The Weight Loss Surgery Center of Los Angeles proudly offers safe, effective and minimally-invasive bariatric surgeries and weight loss procedures at our Barstow office. Dr. Davtyan is Board Certified in Surgery and Bariatric Medicine and one of the most respected weight loss surgeons in the Los Angeles area.
Schedule Your Consultation with the Weight Loss Surgery Center of Los Angeles Now!
Using advanced techniques and modern technology, Dr. Davtyan helps patients achieve life-changing weight loss without the risks and potential complications of traditional gastric bypass surgery. To ensure we meet the needs of each patient, we proudly offers the following minimally-invasive bariatric surgeries and endoscopic weight loss procedures at our Barstow, CA clinic:
- Lap-Band surgery
- Sleeve Gastrectomy (laparoscopic gastric sleeve surgery)
- Lap-Band removal and revision surgery
- Gastric plication surgery
- Gastric balloon (Orbera® and Obalon™)
When to Consider Bariatric Surgery
Weight loss surgery, also known as bariatric surgery, is typically recommended for people who are severely obese and have not been able to lose weight through other methods, such as diet and exercise. Specifically, weight loss surgery may be recommended for individuals with:
- Body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher: BMI is a measure of body fat based on height and weight. A BMI of 40 or higher is considered morbidly obese.
- BMI of 35 or higher with obesity-related health problems: Obesity can lead to a variety of health problems, including type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and joint pain.
Weight loss surgery may be recommended for people with a BMI of 35 or higher who have obesity-related health problems that have not been successfully treated through other means.
In addition to BMI, other factors that may be taken into consideration when determining whether weight loss surgery is appropriate include:
- Age: Weight loss surgery is generally not recommended for people under the age of 18 or over the age of 65.
- Health status: Weight loss surgery may not be appropriate for people with certain health conditions, such as liver disease or heart failure.
- Psychological factors: Weight loss surgery requires a commitment to making significant lifestyle changes, and it may not be appropriate for people with certain psychological or emotional issues that could affect their ability to follow through with these changes.
It is important to remember that weight loss surgery is a major decision that should only be considered after other weight loss methods have been tried and proven unsuccessful. Dr. Davtyan can help determine whether weight loss surgery is the right option for you.
Safer Alternatives to Gastric Bypass Surgery
At The Weight Loss Surgery Center of Los Angeles, we understand the importance of providing minimally-invasive bariatric surgery and weight loss procedures. At our Barstow, CA clinic, we help patients avoid the serious risks of traditional gastric bypass surgery, which can include infection, bleeding, blood clots, digestive problems, dumping syndrome, nutritional deficiencies, and weight regain. Instead, Dr. Davtyan offers safer weight loss surgeries as an alternative to gastric bypass, including:
- Adjustable gastric banding: A silicone band is placed around the upper part of the stomach to create a small pouch, which limits the amount of food that can be eaten.
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: A portion of the stomach is removed to create a smaller, banana-shaped stomach, which helps to control hunger and limit food intake.
These are minimally procedures that can be performed laparoscopically. Unlike traditional open surgery, which requires a large incision, minimally invasive surgery is less invasive and typically results in less pain, shorter recovery times, and smaller scars.
During minimally invasive bariatric surgery, several small incisions are made in the abdomen, through which a laparoscope (a thin, flexible tube with a camera and light on the end) and other specialized surgical instruments are inserted. Dr. Davtyan uses the laparoscope to view the internal organs and perform the surgery, while watching the images on a monitor.
Benefits of Sleeve Gastrectomy
Gastric sleeve surgery, also known as sleeve gastrectomy, is a weight loss surgery that involves the removal of a portion of the stomach to reduce its size. This procedure has several potential benefits, including:
- Significant weight loss: Gastric sleeve surgery can result in significant weight loss, with many patients losing 50-80% of their excess weight within the first year after surgery.
- Improved health: Weight loss can lead to improvements in many obesity-related health conditions, including type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and joint pain.
- Reduced appetite: The removal of a portion of the stomach can result in a reduction in appetite and the production of hunger hormones, which can make it easier to stick to a healthy diet.
- Less invasive than other weight loss surgeries: Gastric sleeve surgery is less invasive than other weight loss surgeries, such as gastric bypass, and typically involves a shorter hospital stay and recovery time.
- Fewer long-term complications: Gastric sleeve surgery has a lower risk of long-term complications than other weight loss surgeries, such as gastric bypass, including dumping syndrome, intestinal blockages, and vitamin deficiencies.
It’s important to note that like any surgery, gastric sleeve surgery carries risks and is not a magic solution for weight loss. It should only be considered as part of a comprehensive approach to weight management, including healthy eating habits and regular exercise.
Schedule Your Weight Loss Surgery Consultation in Barstow
Ready to learn more about whether gastric sleeve or another minimally-invasive bariatric surgery is right for you? Call The Weight Loss Surgery Center of Los Angeles. We have locations throughout the Los Angeles area, including centers near Barstow, California.
To schedule your complimentary bariatric consultation, call our Barstow office or contact us online. We look forward to partnering with you on your weight loss journey.