Weight loss surgery doesn’t have to involve the serious risks and daunting recovery of gastric bypass. Dr. David. G. Davtyan of The Weight Loss Surgery Center of Los Angeles proudly offers safe and minimally-invasive weight loss procedures and bariatric surgeries to patients in San Bernardino. Dr. Davtyan is Board Certified in Surgery and Bariatric Medicine and regarded as one of the most respected weight loss surgeons in the Los Angeles area.
As a bariatric patient himself, Dr. Davtyan brings a keen understanding of helping patients achieve life-changing weight loss through weight loss surgeries that involve less risks and less downtime than traditional gastric bypass. Our clinic near San Bernardino serves obese and overweight patients with the following laparoscopic weight loss procedures to help you achieve your goals:
- Lap-Band surgery
- Sleeve Gastrectomy (laparoscopic gastric sleeve surgery)
- Lap-Band removal and revision surgery
- Gastric plication surgery
- Gastric balloon (Orbera® and Obalon™)
What is Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Gastric sleeve laparoscopic surgery, also known as sleeve gastrectomy, is a type of weight-loss surgery that involves removing a large portion of the stomach, leaving a sleeve-shaped pouch behind. The procedure is typically performed under general anesthesia and involves making several small incisions in the abdomen to insert a laparoscope and other surgical instruments. Gastric sleeve laparoscopic surgery can result in significant weight loss, with patients typically losing 50-60% of their excess body weight within the first two years after surgery.
What to Expect During a Sleeve Gastrectomy?
Dr. Davtyan values the importance of carefully explaining bariatric procedures to each patient, as even minimally-invasive weight loss surgery if a major decision and we want our patients to feel as informed and comfortable as possible. Here are some things you can expect with gastric sleeve laparoscopic surgery at The Weight Loss Surgery Center of Los Angeles:
- Pre-surgery preparation: Before the surgery, you will need to follow a specific diet and may be required to undergo several medical tests to ensure you are healthy enough for the procedure.
- Anesthesia: You will be given general anesthesia to make you unconscious during the surgery, so you won’t feel any pain.
- Surgery duration: The surgery typically takes 1-2 hours to complete.
- Hospital stay: Most patients are required to stay in the hospital for 1-3 days following surgery.
- Post-surgery recovery: You will need to follow a specific diet and exercise plan after surgery to aid in the healing process and promote weight loss.
Have more questions about gastric sleeve surgery in San Bernardino? Schedule a consult with Dr. Davtyan at our clinic today. It’s important to discuss the risks, benefits, and expectations of your surgery before making a decision to undergo gastric sleeve laparoscopic surgery.
Is Bariatric Weight Loss Surgery Right for You?
Weight loss surgery, also known as bariatric surgery, is generally recommended for individuals with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher or a BMI of 35 or higher with obesity-related health conditions, such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, or joint problems. However, it’s important to note that weight loss surgery is not a quick fix for obesity and is typically recommended as a last resort when other weight loss methods have failed.
Here are some situations where weight loss surgery may be considered:
- Obesity-related health problems: If you have obesity-related health problems that have not improved with diet, exercise, and other lifestyle changes, weight loss surgery may be a viable option.
- BMI: If your BMI is 40 or higher, or if your BMI is 35 or higher and you have obesity-related health problems, you may be a good candidate for weight loss surgery.
- Failed weight loss attempts: If you have tried other weight loss methods, such as diet and exercise, without success, weight loss surgery may be an option to consider.
- Psychosocial factors: If your obesity is affecting your mental health, self-esteem, or quality of life, weight loss surgery may be an option to improve your overall well-being.
It’s important to note that weight loss surgery is not suitable for everyone, and the decision to undergo the procedure should be made in consultation with a qualified weight loss surgeon such as Dr. Davtyan. Additionally, weight loss surgery is not a substitute for healthy lifestyle changes, including a healthy diet and regular exercise, and patients will need to commit to making long-term lifestyle changes to achieve and maintain weight loss.
To learn more about how you can transform your life and improve your health with minimally-invasive weight loss surgery, please contact The Weight Loss Surgery Center of Los Angeles today.